Sunday, October 24, 2004

Absence

A lot has happened in the last few days and I have been too busy, or too lazy to blog them. So, I will try to remember it all.

A couple of days ago Amy and I rode the tram to get her work permit. On the way, just before our stop we saw this old lady start to cross the tram tracks. The tram driver blew his whistle to let her know that crossing was not a good idea. All we could see was the ladies face, which was full of fright and then she disappeared from view. At the same time the tram slammed on it's breaks. A couple of people close to the door frantically beat on it to get it open while the driver hurried out of his seat. We thought this lady was surely ran over! When we got out of the tram the lady was laying a few feet from the tracks on the sidewalk obviously dazed. As it turned out she was not hit by the tram, but had been so frightened she slipped, fell and banged her head into a lamp post. Oddy enough, just before that awful sight I had been was standing in the front of the tram watching the driver and noticing how often people jump out in front of the tram to cross. Sometimes they fake a jump across only to stop, realizing it is too risky. I had just thought was a stressful job that must be to never know when someone is going to get hit. Then bam, someone almost does get nailed!

We went to the modern art museum a couple of days ago. In Strasbourg, museums are not free to attend. So we bought a pass that will get us into every museum in the city (there are several) for a year. It makes me feel high class to have a museum card. It is a very nice museum, and very "modern" arty. There were several exhibits that were absolutely hilarious. A table with rope and tools on it! Ooh, here's a trash can with authentic trash! Now that is art! Some of it was very cool and beautiful, some of it was just bizarre.

My friend Jamison has solicited me to take pictures for the French class in the high school where he works. It has been quite fun wandering around the city looking for cultural things that would be interesting for a high school class. One thing specifically asked for were scenes involving high school age children in daily life. That proved quite difficult since I do not actually know any people that age and they tend to not like foreign males, carrying digital cameras peeping into the public schools!

Last night we went to see some zombie movies at the local art house. We were supposed to see Return of the Living Dead and the original Romero version of Dawn of the Dead. The first film also had a short zombie film from Portugal. Then we found out that the print they had of Return of the Living Dead was Return of the Living Dead Part II. The man putting the zombie fest on, started to get the DVD version Part I, but decided he didn't have the rights to show it so we just watched part II. Now the original Return of the Living Dead is a very gorey, cheesy 80's zombie flick, and the sequel is about two steps below that! It was dubbed in French with no subtitles so I couldn't understand a word, but I really didn't need to! That one was shown in the basement of the theatre on a rather small screen, but Dawn of the Dead was shown in their main theatre which is a gorgeous old theatre with big red curtains and a balcony like the old theatres! It was quite cool, even if three zombie movies in one night is way too much.

Today we went to church in Germany. So the entire service was in German and then translated into French. Two languages and I still couldn't understand it! The Germans were very nice and most of them actually spoke English so we were able to visit a good while.

5 comments:

mmullinz8 said...

Brew!

For as horrific as it would have been to see the old lady get squashed and I'm glad you didn't, it would have been revoltingly fascinating. Germany seems as though it would be a cool place, likewise your current location too, obviously. A friend was in Germany several years ago and some guys on a train heard him talking, marched over to him and said, "You are an American right?" When he responded "yes." They decked him and told him to "take that back to America." If asked say that you are Canadian, no body hates those guys.
So how has the scruffy look been coming along? I've thought about doing the same thing. As far as work goes, I don't really care I just can't get into the long hair again. I've let me bangs grow out but I can't stand the rest of it. A beard, no way. Too itchy, too hot, too bothersome.

I am sorry to hear that you're already bored with the country enough to not sample their fruits. I can see what you were talking about though. It's France, they have the exact same fruits, and the only interesting things would be the meats, breads and cheeses. If you were in the islands then I'd be all over it. Same with clothing, unless you find that store from European Vacation where they got all of those tacky duds. This might be worth checking out.

midnitcafe said...

Yes, being present at a horrible death by tram would have made quite a more interesting blog, but probably would have scarred me for life as well.

Hmmm, from what I have heard the Germans are much more American friendly than the French. Honestly, though I have had no trouble with anybody. There have been a couple of sandwich shops that have asked my nationality and been overjoyed when I said American. I've gotten a few looks on the tram when I speak English but that is all.

Scruffy is rough. About once a year or so I get this desire to grow a beard. Usually I last about two weeks before the itchiness drives me nuts and I shave. This time however, two of ther other Americans have gone along with me so I can't give up or I'll look like a wuss. I've had no desire to grow long hair again in ages. Here it is less a desire to grow my hair back out as more of a desire to save some money. Coiffure's are quite expensive.

It's not that I did not want to sample the fruits or vegetables. In fact I was all for Amy buying some and bringing them home. I just didn't want to be there while she was buying them. Shopping has created the most arguments in our marriage. I hate shopping with a passion, and Amy adores it. She looks at everything, feels, touches, smells and then goes over the contents, weight and eventually the price. We can go to the store with a list of three things to buy. Beforehand we will agree to only buy those three things and that we are in a hurry. Over an hour later and about 12 items purchased we'll leave, and I'm mad. In the states I could just send her out and let her shop. Here, because we have no car and she doesn't have enough hands I have to go with her all the time. So the market vegetable buying seemed tiresome to me.

I am sorry to hear that you're already bored with the country enough to not sample their fruits. I can see what you were talking about though. It's France, they have the exact same fruits, and the only interesting things would be the meats, breads and cheeses. If you were in the islands then I'd be all over it. Same with clothing, unless you find that store from European Vacation where they got all of those tacky duds. This might be worth checking out.

midnitcafe said...

Oops I had copied mullins comments to my comment so I could reply correctly. looks like I forgot to delete part of it.

job opportunitya said...

Hype blog. And I admire your site and plan on
returning to it! When I web surf it always helps me to
find great blogs.
I'm looking at the possibility of checking your diamond circle necklace blog.

Me Maine House Cleaning said...

Remarkable blog. I take the neccesary time to find
blogs that are just as good as the ones you do.
Check out my al alabama house cleaning blog, you won't be sorry!