Thursday, November 18, 2004

God is Old

Sorry, I seem to be using a lot of Paul Simon for my titles of late.

Amy and I went to the Archeological Museum today. It had all kinds of cool artifacts dating all the way back to like 50 BC! That's absolutely astounding to me. I don't think I have ever seen something that old that was built by man. Some of the oldest people to have lived in this area and leave behind something were buried in little coffins inside larger structures that housed various other items. The men would be barried in full armor and then in a side chambor would be other weapons, jewelry and food. I couldn't quite understand the French explanation but it would seem that they thought they would rise up again and would need food and weapons then. The coolest stuff to me was dated several hundred years later during the Roman Empire. They had these great old statues of Mercury and Venus and other gods. Plus big tablets of stone with letters written in what everybody knows as the old Roman style. Very interesting to see real. A lot of this section of the museum was very dark. The museum itself is in the basement of the Palais Rohan, which is itself a beautiful and amazing structure. (and I now have to add an apology for the odd linking I do on my blog. I always mean to link a lot of things, but in the end I forget half of it). Anyways there isn't a lot of natural light, and for whatever reason the museum has decided to paint the walls in this section black and to only have small spotlights on each artifact. The effect is quite creepy. As I was crossing pass some monument, or skeleton I stepped on some type of trap door in the floor which caused this loud bang. Scared the bejesus out of me! A little later Amy did the exact same thing!

One thing I noticed there and the fine art museum just above it was that the security guards were visibly bored. Security guards must be bored everywhere, but at least in America they have to act like they are scrutinizing everyone and are alert. Here they sat slumped over, reading a book, staring out the window, or had their head in their hands looking stupified.

6 comments:

Jamison said...

and you took no pictures of those cool old things to share with us? CURSE YOU!

Superman said...

very intreasting blog...
glad i came.
visit mine
wingsofsuperman.blogspot.com

Helen said...

BREWSTER!! Oh my goodness!! ((Hmmm, I should state my name 'cause he won't know the nickname...)) This is Helen. I am so glad to have stumbled across your blog through MaeAnne's!! I'm glad to hear, too, that you're doing well. I must agree with Jamison though that I am disappointed that there are no pictures?!

Anywho... drop me a line sometime... babyj20@gmail.com

Helen said...

I am so a blonde... I wasn't paying any attention...

BTW, hello to Mullins and Jamison and Josh, too!! Y'all drop me a line, too sometime...

midnitcafe said...

Welcome Helen! I think I would have known it was you after the first two sentences! There are pictures, my dear, you just have to know where to look.

http://community.webshots.com/user/brewinfranceThere is only one picture of the aforementioned museum, and I just now changed the caption to mention that it is the Palais Rohan, because before I had no idea what it was called or had inside. As far as pictures inside, I don't think they allow them, and if they do they wouldn't be very good. It was very dark inside which would have made for bad pictures.

midnitcafe said...

I forgot to welcome nathan john as well. I have been to your blog and plan to join the discussion soon.