Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Top 10 Actors

After much ado by me I have finally compiled my all time favorite actors list. After several attempts at trying to write why they were my favorite actors, I decided just to list the movies that make them my favorite. There are of course many other fine actors out there and everyone is incouraged to make their own lists.

1. Humphrey Bogart
Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, African Queen....

2. Tom Hanks
Philadelphia, Saving Private Ryan, Big, Road to Perdition, Toy Story

3. Jimmy Stewart
You Can't Take it With You, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, it's a Wonderful Life, Rear Window Vertigo

4. Marlon Brando
A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, Godfather, Apocalypse Now

5. Harrison Ford
Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Frantic, Mosquito Coast

6. Gregory Peck
To Kill a Mockingbird, Roman Holiday, Cape Fear

7. Cary Grant
Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Arsenic and Old Lace, Notorious, North by Northwest

8. Robert Deniro
Godfather II, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter

9. Toshiro Mifune
Seven Samauri, High and Low, Yojimbo, Hidden Fortress

10. Al Pacino
Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, Glengarry Glen Ross, Insomnia

6 comments:

Foolish Knight said...

This is more or less in the right order. I might have to make a seperate list for supporting actors so that Claude Rains, Peter Lorre and Walter Huston can have a place in the sun. Anyway here they are:

1. Jimmy Stewart

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Cary Grant

4. Gregory Peck

5. Marlon Brando

6. John Wayne

7. Orson Welles

8. Alec Guinness

9. Harrison Ford

10. Tom Hanks

Looking over my list It seems that I have a prejudice against people who are actually living. I don't mean to. Also I wish there were some more foreign actors on the list. Who does Toshiro Mifune play in The Seven Samauri? Maybe he would make a good addition to the list.

midnitcafe said...

Supporting actor may very well become a list here very soon. Toshiru Mifune played Kikuchiyo in Seven Samurai. He was the last samurai to join who wasn't really a samauri and was the comic relief more or less. If you dug Seven Samurai I would highly recomend other Akira Kurasawa films, many of which also star Mifune. Like Seven Samurai is a Japanese version of the American Western, HIGH AND LOW is a Japanese version of film noir. HIDDEN FORTRESS was partial inspiration for Star Wars. They say the Samurai trilogy is also excellent but I have not yet watched them. Really I have never been dissapointed with Mifune as an actor or Kurasaw as a director.

eucharisto said...

Good list to be sure, and you would definitely find Harrison Ford and Cary Grant on my list. But I would also have listed:
-Gregory Peck, for 'To Kill A Mockingbird',
-Topol, for 'Fiddler On The Roof' (that's the only film I ever saw him in, but it was so incredible, I thought I'd list him anyway).
-Ben Kingsley for 'Ghandi' and 'Searching For Bobby Fischer'
-Anthony Hopkins (for Shadowlands)
-Sean Connery for 'The Hunt For Red October' and 'The Wind And The Lion'
-Jim Carrey for 'The Truman Show'
-Robert Duvall for 'Secondhand Lions' and 'Tender Mercies'
-Kenneth Brannagh for 'Much Ado About Nothing'
-Denzel Washington also for 'Much Ado About Nothing'

Honorable Mentions go to several people:
-Roberto Benigi for 'Life Is Beautiful'
-James Cromwell for 'Babe'
-Billy Connely for 'Her Majesty Mrs. Brown'

Now then, that wasn't more than ten, was it?

eucharisto said...

That superflous mention of Gregory Peck was a typing mistake.

midnitcafe said...

Welcome, Joel! Good list. It is impossible, really to keep a list like this. I have already changed my mind and back again a few times! But it is a lot of fun to make the list and then compare it to others.

Ak Alaska House Cleaning said...

Fine blog. I found your site suitable for another
visit! And when I'm able to surf the web, I look for
blogs as great as your work.
Please come by and see my ky kentucky house cleaning blog.