Thursday, January 20, 2005

A Day Trip

Boats rest serenely in Colmar's "Little Venice"


A few days ago we were given notice that our water was going to be turned off from 8:30 until 5 pm Wednesday. After much discussion, Amy and I decided to make a day trip of it. We got up early Wednesday morning, and showered before the water was turned off. After checking the train schedules and some more debate we decided to go to Colmar. It is a quaint little city about 30 minutes, by train, South of Strasbourg. Colmar is the former home of Frédéric-Auguste Bartholdi who created the Statue of Liberty. His home has been converted into a museum. There are several old churches built by the Dominicans in the 13th and 14th Centuries. The city is beautiful, or, I believe it is in the Spring. It had the cold, gray bleakness of winter while we were there. They city has done a good job promoting it's tourism and history. There are plaques giving information in French, English, and German at numerous points of interest throughout.

We bought a tourist map for .80 Euros and walked across the town visiting the various churches, schools and nunneries. We visited the art museum. It is located in a beautiful old church. Most of the artwork is from local artists and is of a religious nature. With our ticket we also received an audio guide. This was very interesting at first but became exhausting after an hour or so. There are only so many times I can listen to someone explaining the significance of yet another painting of the crucifixion scene.

We ate at a little pastry shop. Amy had a coffee and an apple tart. I had a delicious raspberry cream tart and a hot chocolate. We caught the 6:10 train to Strasbourg and returned to an apartment with running water! It's the little things that keep us going.

4 comments:

Helen said...

First, glad to hear you're doing better with the French lessons.... wish I could get into Spanish...

Second, you're "day trip" reminds me of my crashing at Momma and Daddy's after Ivan... Daph had to go to work and there was no power, so I went to Mom's!!

Helen said...

First, glad to hear you're doing better with the French lessons.... wish I could get into Spanish...

Second, you're "day trip" reminds me of my crashing at Momma and Daddy's after Ivan... Daph had to go to work and there was no power, so I went to Mom's!!

Helen said...

First, glad to hear you're doing better with the French lessons.... wish I could get into Spanish...

Second, you're "day trip" reminds me of my crashing at Momma and Daddy's after Ivan... Daph had to go to work and there was no power, so I went to Mom's!!

Oh Ohio House Cleaning said...

Excellent blog. It was so great and I bet I will
go back to it! I get to look online for blogs like
yours is a blessing.
Please consider looking at my ga georgia house cleaning blog.