Friday, September 09, 2005

2 Days in the Valley Soundtrack Review

Rating: **

Once in awhile I'll leave the movie theatre and head straight to the music shop, knowing I simply must purchase the soundtrack album. I leave thinking the music was just so perfect, so wonderful, that it would simply be a shame to not have it for my collection.

Usually the soundtracks turn out to be absolutely friggin' brilliant. To this day I play the Swingers soundtrack and dig nearly every swinging note. When I'm jonesing for some classic 90's grunge I always turn to the soundtrack to Cameron Crowe's less than stellar film, Singles.

But sometimes, as it turns out, the music on a soundtrack turns out to be better suited for the cinema. The songs fit the scene perfectly, but taken outside of the Hollywood lights, the sounds fail to perform. Somehow the mix of images, lights, and sounds gelled, but when left alone, the music falls flat.

The soundtrack to 2 Days in the Valley is one of these disks. I literally walked straight out of the movie theatre and into the record shop and picked up the soundtrack. While watching the film all I could think about is how great the music is.

Truth be told, some of the songs are fantastic. Wilson Picket (Hello Sunshine) and Otis Redding (Down in the Valley) kick out the R and B jams like only they could. One of Lyle Lovett's greatest and saddest songs (Nobody Knows Me) is included in the package.

Both Taj Mahal's Rolling on the Sea, and Erin O'Hara's Down in the Valley are very listenable, but fail to be enough to make me want to dig out the album to listen to just them. Other songs, such as Morphines' Gone For Good, seemed wonderful in the cinema. That song fit the scene perfectly, and brought home the loneliness of the moment, but left playing in my car, or the home stereo and it just seems rather sappy, kind of silly.

The few bits of score included fail to gain any interest. And songs like Scott Reeder's Gold are barely palatable. They are the type of songs that go unnoticed in a movie, playing in the background, but get quite annoying when played on their own.

Ultimately I have the Lyle Lovett song on his own album and the two remaining standouts aren't enough to make me shuffle through the rest to play this album often.

No comments: