Saturday, August 25, 2007

As It Turns Out, I Kinda Like 30 Rock


At the beginning of last season, had their been a vote or a contest on which behind-the-scenes show loosely based on Saturday Night Live was better or would come out on the top, I would have hands down bet on Studio 60. No wait let's rephrase that. In the middle of the season, I would have bet on Studio 60. At the beginning of the season I'm not sure I knew that both shows even existed, nor would I have cared too much.

But by mid-season I was very much a fan of Studio 60 while I just sort of frowned and stuck up my nose at 30 Rock. Truth is, I haven't watched Saturday Night Live in about a decade. The last sketch I remember watching was the whole Jeopardy parody with Will Ferrel. While that bit was quite hilarious, I only happened to watch that bit. If I recall correctly my sister was home and she still liked SNL and thus I watched that bit before going to bed.

What that really means is that Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan were unknown to me. Or, rather, I knew the names from what to me were irrelevant and unfunny seasons of SNL. I saw no reason to watch uninteresting actors parody a show that no longer interested me.

And so I skipped it entirely.

Well, as it turns out, I was wrong.

My sister has the first season on DVD and as she lives right down the path, and as I kept coming over to subdue my culture shock, and as she kept watching episode, I kept watching them too.

Well, as it turns out, it is funny. Really rather funny.

Tina Fey is funny and smart and, well kind of a hottie. She wrote many of the shows and helps produce it and it seems like the whole show is kind of her baby, and darned if she doesn't do a great job with it.

Alec Baldwin who I sometimes love and often despise is brilliant too. I never would have thought he'd do so well at a sit-com, but he nails it every time. Tracy Morgan is kind of pompous and annoying, but that's pretty much his character. The rest of the cast is lovely, too.

So there you have it. We borrowed the set and we've just about watched it all in the last few days.

I wouldn't have thought it to be true, but I'm now a 30 Rock fan.

1 comment:

Beth said...

"30 Rock" took some time to come together and gel — but it came together quite well. Alec Baldwin steals every damn show.