Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Molding Young Minds And Suchlike

Tomorrow morning at 9 in the am, I will be teaching two young boys in the ways of History and English.

Seriously, how did this happen?

Many years ago I used to think that I wanted to sculpt young minds in the ways of the world or some such nonsense. I felt I could help the lads and lasses get through the awkwardness that mixes childhood and teenagedom. It seemed like a great career. I could find meaning in that work. I could make a difference.

What a crock.

I haven't the slightest idea what I am doing, how the crap am I supposed to help others through?

The gig is a British woman is here with her two boys, who are somewhere in the preteen years. For whatever reason she wants the to be privately taught instead of going to school. Thus she's hiring private teachers, one of which will be me.

I got the gig through a friend. I am in the land of teachers, as my wife is one and that is her job here. That's all we know around here. It seems like I should have landed a small job as a street sweeper or typists or even creating english language tapes. Or something. Anything. But teaching.

What the crap?!?

I have to admit I am scared. I am nervous. I am freaking out. I have no idea how to teach kids. I don't know how to relate. I've forgotten any grammar I ever learned and I sure don't know my history.

I guess I'll just have to stay one page ahead of them. And figure out some way to present the material. Or something.

I'm going to have a panic attack now.

Edit: Sorry for my little freak out last night. It all came crashing down on me. Not only the teaching situation, but we're trying to sell our car and we finally found a buyer last night so I had to coordinate between two banks and continents and all of our accounts. Plus prior to finding out all of this, I had been listening to my iPod's playlist full of Ryan Adams, Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams - and if you know those artists you know they can be full of heartache.

I met everyone this morning and it was fine (well I got lost first and wandered around the streets for fifteen minutes, but then it was fine.) She lives within walking distance which is great and her two boys are rambunctious but nice kids. The mom has all sorts of books to use for the classes so it shouldn't be difficult to work out lessons.

Tomorrow I will freak out a little more, but like all my culture shockings I will push through and come out the other side.

1 comment:

Holly A Hughes said...

The fact that I was in China facing all these challenges would freak me out even if I DIDN'T have to start performing in an entirely new field of endeavor. But I have faith in you, Matt. Plus you are actually exactly the sort of person who will make a great teacher because you love to share what you know. There's no real secret to teacher other than that. Good luck!

Holly